Hello StudentName -
Welcome to JamKazam, and congratulations on your free lessons, courtesy of Amazon! I work with new students and provide personalized support to help you get ready for your first online lesson. If you have any questions as I walk you through the process, you can reach me via email at ConsultantName@jamkazam.com.
To get started, let's make sure you have everything you need to successfully join and participate in your online lesson sessions using the JamKazam application. Here are the minimum system requirements you'll need:
- A Windows or Mac computer
- A webcam that is built into your computer, or an external webcam connected via a USB port
- A microphone and a headphone jack that are built into your computer, and a pair of headphones or earbuds that you can plug into the headphone jack on your computer
- Internet service/access
Beyond the minimum system requirements above, for even better online lessons, here are a couple of other options to consider:
- For superior Internet access, if you can connect your computer to your home router using an Ethernet cable (versus using WiFi), you will have a better lesson experience. To do this, your computer needs to have an Ethernet port (or you need an Ethernet adapter), and you need an Ethernet cable. If you have any questions about this, please let me know, and I can help.
- For superior audio quality, you can use an audio interface product. For example, if you have an electric guitar but do not have an amp, then your guitar won't be loud enough for the microphone on your computer to pick it up. Or if you have an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar with an amp, there are audio interfaces and microphones that can give you studio quality audio, and will also let you make nice home recordings when not in lessons. These kinds of products start for as little as $10, and can be purchased from Amazon and other sources. If you're interested in learning more about audio options, just let me know.
Please let me know if you have the minimum system requirements listed above so that we can get you started! And also let me know if you have any questions about Ethernet connectivity or audio interface options. Look forward to hearing from you soon!
Please note that you may get a response from the student to inquire about how important it is to be on a wired Ethernet connection vs. WiFi. Please be careful in how you respond on this particular question. We don’t want to scare the student off on the Ethernet issue. We want to gently nudge them toward getting connected via Ethernet for the best experience, but need to also be cautious not to make it feel like a hard requirement, or that they will have a poor experience on WiFi. A good reply to the question of how important Ethernet is might be something like this:
Hi StudentName – Connecting to your network using an Ethernet cable vs. WiFi gives you lower latency, so that you can play together in sync with your teacher, and you’ll have fewer audio and video glitches on an Ethernet connection. But if it’s too hard to connect via Ethernet, I’d encourage you to get started with your lessons on WiFi and see how it goes. This may very well be good enough. Please tell me if you are using a Windows or Mac computer, and I can recommend an Ethernet adapter that you can consider purchasing. Thanks.